Sunday 4 November 2012

Chechen Diorama



August

I am in the process of planning a dio set in Chechnya (as the title suggests). I plan to include the Alanger 2S9 Nona 120mm Mortar, a Zvezda/ESCi kit bashed BMP-2 with a Model Point barrel and mantlet, antenna mount and missle launcher, Eduard etch set and some TANK figures. I bought a Zvezda BMP-2 for £10 at the East Neuk model show. Inside however, was the Model Point barrel set, 2 ATGM launchers, 2 antenna mounts, the Eduard etch set and the Top Shot ref book. The only problem was that the etch set had been partially started. The best and biggest parts had already been  used. This may not sound bad, but the manner in which the previous owner had started was terrible. Large scratches, vast quantities of super glue and bent, misshapen parts littered the upper hull. Luckily I had the exact kit already at home, so a replacement hull was available (although I decided to use the ESCi one anyway). Bearing in mind this was my first use of an AM etch set, I found it not to bad, a bit laborious at times but nothing difficult. This was also my first kit bash. Enough about the BMP-2, the Nona will only receive new tracks from MasterClub (if it's lucky). 
Some pics now.
































































October
I have finished the diorama and won Junior Best of Show at Glasgow Model Fest. It includes the BMP-2, Nona, a TANK Russian in Chechnya figure, two figures from Miniart's Soviet Tank Crew at Rest, Scotia's Steel Boxes, Miniart's 122mm shells and boxes, Tamiya barrels and jerry cans and a home made, tarpaulin covered stack of ammunition. In the end, the Nona did not receive it's tracks as I ran out of time to order them as they were coming from Ukraine, however I scratch made an ejection port at the back of the turret from spares. Maybe not accurate, but I think it adds interest to a pretty plain kit. Anyway, It turned out ok even though it was my first time using insulation foam for the ground work and was my first proper diorama. It still needs some vegetation but is near complete and I plan on entering it at Scale Model World this year in the Junior Diorama category, you might see me there LOL. This will be my first time at SMW and I have to say I am very excited. Friends at my IMPS Club say its amazing and pictures show it to be massive, after all, I am a 15yr old Scottish boy from the country who has only attended 5 shows in my life ( I only started going last year and there aren't that many Scottish shows and the one that do exist are quite small). Again my models are plagued by my bad photography, almost erasing the subtle effects I have tried to create.
The actual dio still needs some modifications like vegetation and better earth effects, but you get the just. However, it did win Junior Best of Show at Glasgow Model Fest and I plan on entering it at SMW.

Now some Pictures







































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment