Sunday 19 May 2013

1/35 Skif BMD-1P - Part 2


Hey guys,
After some time on the shelf I decided to take the BMD down and muck about. With only a week or so until Perth, I thought I might as well try and get it finished, something else I could enter. I remembered I had previously sprayed it green in preparation for the chipping so was quite pleased I could paint it yellow right away. By brush, I applied various tones of Dunkle Gelb to create a worn, Iraqi look. To add a bit of variety, I painted the hatches a faded green to suggest they had been pilfered from other vehicles. Graffiti was then added in the form of names, dates and symbols to mimic 'tagging; by Coalition troops and locals. The engine bay was painted a duck-egg blue to further increase the contrast. Several tones of pigments and oils were used to create a manky feel. I lost one of the machine gun ports so was forced to use half a road wheel to cover it. My story is that the previous user had used it to stop sand etc getting in. ;) The left hand side head light was removed and put on the end of a piece of wire as if it was dangling.
Once I was satisfied with the base, a layer Vallejo Matt was used and weathering could commence.

A dark brown oil wash was the first one followed by a pin wash of a more intense, dark tone. A generic, dirty brown was created and pooled around hatches and in recesses. Another coat of Matt was put on and from here I moved on to streaking. Orange oil paint was dotted onto various parts of the model and then dragged down imitating running rust. Black was also used for the vents at the back. Diluted black was utilized to start the spillages around what I think are fuel caps (even if they're not I probably could'nt have resisted anyway). Abteilung 'Engine Grease' played the part of thicker, more recent oil spills. The tracks were given a dusting with several earth pigments but need further weathering. The Arabic writing was hand painted using a brush.
Enjoy (sorry for the vagueness but I left a month or two between finishing it and writing this so have forgotten most of what I did :( )




























































No comments:

Post a Comment