Monday 20 May 2013

Chechnya River Crossing - Part 1

Hi guys,
I've decided to do another 'diorama' as practice before I paint the Naval convoy. This one will be set in Chechnya and feature a Zvezda T-80 ( I built it ages ago so it isn't in sub assemblies much to my annoyance), a Dragon BMP-1 ( I got 2 for cheap and want to have them together during maneuvers but the suspension arms are molded on meaning I cant do my vision. Instead I will use one for this dio and buy a couple of the Trumpeter kits) and a Alanger BTR-D ( I built it today and it is a very nice model).

The T-80 is built from the box and features some tarpaulins. However, I am thinking about fitting the
Brod-M wading system so may have to alter it a bit.

The BMP-1 is also built from the box excluding a few 'home made' additions. I have replaced the molded on straps of the turret with paper, completely re-made the trim vane and made a vent cover ( I should make two but prefer it with only one). I will also make an extended drivers periscope that allows him to see over the trim vane and a schnorkel for the crew compartment air intake. I will post a pic that shows the two mods I still have to do.

The BTR-D was assembled within a couple of hours and is very straight forward. I have made some changes to improve detail/ add interest. I replaced the station lights and smoke dischargers with pieces from a Zvezda BMP-2, added tiny 'wires' to the caps of the smoke dischargers, used an etch part to make a spent smoke canister, fitted a large infra-red spotlight, placed a gunner's sight (even though there is no gun, I'll just say its for the missile), made my own splash boards as the kit part is one piece, wrapped the ATGM in a tarpaulin and constructed a large wooden platform in stilts. The platform will either have stowage or soldiers on it. I am debating whether to add a slat cage around it. The one in the pic is just to give a rough idea.

Anyway, thats as far as I've got. I'll post an update as soon as theres something to update you on :)
























No comments:

Post a Comment